Monday, June 22, 2015

I had taken a nap



1/25
On the sixteenth of January, my beloved companion of six weeks was transferred. Destination: Indiana. Position: Future wife and mother.

D. Shimai was an amazing companion. She was everything I had hoped for in a trainer--she was strong, scheduled, driven, and knew exactly how she was getting wherever she was going. The day I got to the area, we took off running. We were so busy, all day every day. And that was a true, true blessing. She was near fluent in Japanese, and loved Japan with all her heart. She loved the people. She loved cute tape (which, by the way, is a thing in Japan), and LOVED cats. She taught me just about everything I needed to know to be a missionary. And for that, I'm very grateful.

[My new companion] Z. Shimai is a half-Iranian Californian who loves cooking, piano, obedience, and manga. I think we get along pretty well. She's really young in the mission--only six or seven months, and she's far more hands-off than [my last companion]. She's never seen a baptism in the six months she's been on a mission. She'll see, already, three this transfer. Two of them are ours. I've told her every day that she got transferred to the best mission in the world. Not sure if she believes me yet, but she will. I was surprised that she lets me lead ninety percent of everything (well, except the cleaning, on which she insists on taking the lead). I really, really like her, and I love how deeply she already loves the members. She's had them write their names in her little book along with their birthdays and favorite food. She talks to everyone. I love that, and she believes in to-the-letter obedience. I know I have a lot to learn from her and I'm looking forward to the experience.

1/26

If I had a title for today, it would be *A real companion will hold the train for you* 

Today, we almost missed the train. I had taken a nap (the second of my mission), and woke up ten minutes late. It was raining outside, but we ditched the kappa, our rain gear, and biked for our lives. Parking outside the 7/11, we booked it to the station. Z. Shimai, less burdened and more fit than I was, quickly surpassed me. Shortly after her, I reached the station. For the first time in perhaps ever, my ICOCA card pulled through for me the first time I swiped it, but the train was two staircases away, loaded and ready for takeoff. However, instead of chugging away, a whistle sounded over and over. The train remained stationary. In one of the cars already was Z.Shimai, my brand new companion, standing half-in, half-out of the train. I ran in, drenched from the rain, and we looked at each other for a long time, then we laughed a little shakily as everyone in the car just let the gaijin be gaijin.

Companions hold the door for each other. This companion held the train for me.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you didn't miss the train. Take care And God be with you

    ReplyDelete